Sunday, April 15, 2007

Goodby G I Joe's


The G I Joe's sporting goods store chain, here in Oregon, has been bought out by a large corporation and they are changing the store names to just plain "Joe's". I feel a touch of sadness for two reason. First, G I Joe's was an Oregon based chain and there are getting to be fewer and fewer. Fred Meyer and Meier & Frank two other Oregon based chain stores have also been bought out in recent years by out of state conglomerates. They even chanced the name of Meier & Frank to Macy's. There was something uniquely Oregon about these stores. Second, changing the name of G.I. Joe's is a brake from its roots as an Army/Navy surplus store. After World War II stores sprung up all over America selling old Army/Navy surplus. Just about ever town had one. As a kid growing up in the 1950's I loved to go into these stores . They had "neat stuff" like canteens, backpacks, leggings, and ammo boxes. Merchandise was piled high and the places smelled of canvas.For me they were as much fun as toy stores. We liked to played "army" and we could get all our stuff there so we could be just like Audie Murphy.I just watched a documentary about "Saving Private Ryan" and Steven Spielberg made his first films as a kid filming his friends playing "army" with a home movie camera he got from his dad. G. I Joe's started out as an Army/Navy surplus store . I remember as a kid growing up in Coos Bay/North Bend saving up my money so I could buy a yellow two man raft at G I Joe's to sail on the Coos River.Back then the store was only in Portland and I can remember blowing up the boat by mouth at the motel I was staying at with my parents. They had gone out and I was watching Ron Tomkin (the Portland car dealer)hosting a movie on TV called "Godzilla". He always had good looking models helping him! In any case I loved those Army/Navy surplus stores. One by one they closed down in the 1960's as World War II surplus ran out. G I Joe's didn't close but evolved into a great sporting goods store. However, every time I went into G. I Joe's I remembered those stores and the times. My guess is the new owners for "PC" reasons wanted to change the name so liberals would shop there. Next thing they will be removing the gun sales! Good by G. I Joe's.