Monday, August 15, 2005

German Visitors Weekend

This week end our home was visited by Chris Hoyer and his two teen age son's. Chris was a German foreign exchange student at North Bend High School forty(40) years ago during my senior year in High school in 1965. In high school we became good friends. He came over to the United States for our 40th class reunion two weeks ago(see post below) and has been visiting friends in Oregon for the last few weeks. After high school he returned to what was then West Germany and went to college , law school and then served in the West German Army. I also went to college, US Army, and then on to law school. Chris now works as an auditor in the German Defense Ministry. We had a good visit. We disagree on politics but are able to do so in a friendly collegial manner. We were able to go to Jacksonville and took him to our favorite restaurant Bella Union and sat outside on their back deck and enjoyed Saturday evening. Sunday, we had them over for brunch and then took them for a tour of Ashland and Lithia Park. I showed them where my wife and I were married 30 years ago at the Parozzi Fountain area . We stopped at the duck pond and even got into the outdoor Ashland Shakespearian Theater. We stopped at a music store as his sons are interested in music. My son then took his sons to the Rogue Valley Mall to do some shopping. After they left we went to Sears and got a microwave oven for my son's apartment at college. He will be starting his senior year at Willamette an a few weeks. Our daughter called from DC and told us their power was out and about the Neil Diamond Concert she attended. I finished off the weekend watching the DVD of Garden State. My daughter told me it is sort of their generations The Graduate. Well, It at least had a Simon and Garfunkel Song. I enjoyed it and the rest of the music but I am sure it would have meant more if I was in my 20's.