Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Charter Bundle



In the last year I have been unhappy with my Quest Internet at home because it didn't give me enough Internet speed to watch streaming of Netflix movies through my Play Station 3. When I was finally able to figure out how to program the Play Station 3 to pick up the wireless signal from my desk top modem I was only able to get streaming movies from Netflix that would stop and start which is very annoying if you are watching a movie. I checked with Quest to see if I could upgrade to get more speed but was told their lines to my home would not support it. Thus, I started looking at getting Internet through my Charter cable provider. I did have my doubts about Charter. For the last 25 years plus we have only had "Expanded Basic" from Charter Cable and the picture on some of our channels were far from perfect and in the case of our local CBS station it was downright terrible. In the past, I had the repair folks out from Charter and they were unable to fix the problem. In spite of that I discovered with the "Charter Bundle" I could get high speed Internet, High Definition Cable TV and Telephone service(local and unlimited long distance) for less than I was paying separately for these services. I had Charter for Cable, Quest for Internet and local phone and Integra for long distance telephone. Charter even threw in HBO and Cinemax for the same price all guaranteed for two years !

Charter came out Saturday to install the High Definition Box and the new Internet connection. The phone service will be installed later. Things did not start out well. First, electricity in much of Medford went out just before the cable guy arrived. It went back on just as the cable guy was to leave. Second, the cable guy said we needed a lap top computer to install the wireless Internet. We don't have a lap top computer and no one told us we needed one. I told him the reason we needed wireless is for the Play Station 3 and streaming Netflix movies. He said he couldn't have anything to do with the PS3 and he needed a lap top computer The cable guy said if he could not install the wireless Internet then he couldn't install the High Definition Cable TV and we would have to re set our installation appointment!To say the least I got a little hot under the collar. I called my friend Bob to see if he was able to come over with his lap top and I got his answering machine and I left a message with my predicament. Just as the cable guy was to leave again, having installed nothing, Bob called back and then came over with his lap top computer. The cable guy then said he couldn't find the HDMI outlet on my TV and would not be able to install the High Definition TV Box without it. I crawled behind the TV and found the HdMI cable from the Play Station 3 plugged into the outlet on the TV. I unplugged it and showed it to the cable guy so he could install the High Definition TV Box. ( I bought a HDMI switch the next day so I could install the HDMI cords from both the cable box and the PS3 in the same slot)
A second cable guy arrived on the scene to help the first cable guy and he noticed our box on the side of the house needed updating so he installed a new box and a CABLE BOOSTER and guess what ?...... our local CBS station came in very clear and in fact all of our expended basic channels come in much clearer. I love that guy !!!!

After the cable guys left I was able to reprogram my PS3 to pick up the NEW wireless Internet from Charter and was able to stream movies from Netflix that came in with a prefect picture and no stops and starts ! We have a great signal from the Internet with great speed. Lots of high definition TV channels. We now have a number of HBO and Cinemax channels and many "On Demand Channels." All of our channels come in great and as they say "all's well that ends well" I can't wait for football season so I can watch all of those games on ESPN in High Definition !