Monday, April 25, 2011

2012 Republican Presidential Nomination UPDATE


An update ..... Haley Barbour (Pictured above and # 7 on my list below) dropped out of the race today. As I said in my earlier post, set forth below, he had "no chance." I think he saw the writing on the wall !


1.Tim Pawlenty Yes, the former Governor of Minnesota has impressed me in the last couple of weeks. He has a blue collar background and is Conservative and has the ability to come across as a nice guy. He has no major liability's and can unite the various factions of the Republican party. His drawback of lack of name familiarity will change as the campaign goes on.

2. Mitch Daniels The current Governor of Indiana. Daniels is a budget hawk and is very qualified to be President.If there was ever a time for a budget hawk it is now. He has done a great job in Indiana and is very plain spoken. His drawbacks are he may not want it enough and his wife may not want the spotlight of a Presidential campaign. Daniels could very well be my first choice if he runs.

3. Mitt Romney I like Mitt Romney a lot. He looks Presidential and has great executive experience in helping troubled business and America is in trouble. I don't care if he is a Mormon (LDS) but a lot of people do and the Massachusetts health care law is an albatross around his neck. He is more liberal than I am and large sections of the Republican base may not accept him.

4.Mike Huckabee I like his ability to disagree but not be disagreeable. I have watched many of his shows on Fox News and he is a very likable guy. He is more conservative on social issues than I and less conservative on economic issues. While social conservatives like him the National Review conservatives can't stand him. There is also some concern that he doesn't have the "fire in the belly" that he had in 2008.

5. Sara Palin I love Sara but she can't win. I am bothered she quite as Governor of Alaska before her term was up and she is a "turn off" to independents who we need to win. I am also bothered that she is more interested in publicity then governing.The high pitch of her voice sends a shiver down my back. Margaret Thatcher had Lawrence Olivier work on her voice to lower it. Yes, Olivier was a Conservative party member.

6. Newt Gingrich The former Speaker of the House is very bright and very undisciplined. He has 100 ideas an hour and 5 of them are good. He is not trusted by the party and has personal baggage. We already have a professor as President and it has not worked out. In spite of all of the above I like Newt and in a crises he could be our Winston Churchill. Has no chance.

7. Haley Barbour Former lobbyist with a southern drawl. No chance. UPDATE : Gone !

8. Michele Bachman Congresswoman from Minnesota needs more seasoning.

Also Ran:
Ron Paul, Jon Huntsman, Herman Cain

The Future and VP Candidate: Marco Rubio.... Freshman Senator from Florida has Reagan's way of describing the American Dream !

The Joker is Wild:

Donald Trump !!!!!!