Monday, November 09, 2009

Oregon senior running back LeGarrette Blount has been reinstated


News release from the University of Oregon:

EUGENE - University of Oregon senior running back LeGarrette Blount has been reinstated to the Ducks' football program and will be available to play Saturday when they host Arizona State in a game scheduled to kickoff at 7:20 p.m. (PST), according to an announcement from the school's head coach Chip Kelly Monday.

Blount, who has missed Oregon's last eight games after being suspended by Kelly following the season-opening loss at Boise State, has remained a member of the team and has participated in practice since the post-game incident which led to his suspension.

Kelly said he forwarded his recommendation for Blount's reinstatement to Oregon Athletics Director Mike Bellotti Sunday night, who in turn passed it along to University President Richard Lariviere and Pacific-10 Conference Commissioner Larry Scott.

Blount's suspension was originally announced to encompass the entire 2009 season, but Kelly announced on Oct. 2 the potential for reinstatement contingent upon the running back completing a series of conditions to the satisfaction of athletics department, University and Pac-10 officials. Kelly emphasized that Blount would continually be held accountable to those conditions for the remainder of the year.

"I'm grateful to Coach Kelly that he cares enough to offer me this second chance," Blount said. "Now it is up to me to prove to people that their lasting impressions of me are not what they saw in Boise.

"When I am ready to address this further with the public and the media, I will do so," Blount added. "Until that time, I feel my actions can speak louder than anything I could say. I just want to help my teammates who have been supportive of me."

The Ducks' 1,000-yard rusher from a year ago was held to minus 5 yards in his only appearance this year in a 19-8 loss at Boise State.