Saturday, March 31, 2007

Monument Valley Update

On Sunday March 4th I posted on this blog part of a travel log from the Los Angeles Times about a staff writer's trip to one of my favorite places on earth..... Monument Valley. Well, yesterday the Medford Mail Tribune picked up the story and printed it with some great color pictures. If you missed it click on the title above for a link to the Medford Mail Tribune's reprint of the story. John Wayne said Monument Valley is "were God put the West" My favorite quote from the travel log:
The argument could be made that, from 1939's "Stagecoach" through "Cheyenne Autumn" in 1964, those magnificent seven (which include "My Darling Clementine," "Fort Apache," "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon," "The Searchers" and "Sergeant Rutledge") created the 20th century's image of the heroic, romantic West, showing us what it ought to look like, though it so rarely does


Of course all those movies were directed by John Ford. I have said it before I will say it again one of the best days of my life was the day I spent at Monument Valley with my wife and kids. The picture above of me was taken by my wife. Our Navajo guide had stopped the truck we were riding on so we could get some pictures. We were starting to get back on the truck and my wife said we have to get a picture of you by the sign. It was a very spur of the moment thing and I complied and it turned out to be one of my favorite pictures. You probably guessed that by how many times I have post it on this blog. I have the picture on a book shelf in my office. A few months ago two of my clients saw it and told me they were going to Monument Valley in a few weeks. When they got back they brought me a picture of the husband standing by the same sign in the same pose.