Sunday, March 18, 2007

Churchill & Chartwell


Winston Churchill once said "A day away from Chartwell is a day wasted." It was his favorite place on earth. Chartwell was purchased by Churchill as his home outside of London during the "Wilderness Years" while he was out of power between World War I and II. Tonight on Fox News, Oliver North hosted his hour show called "War Stories." from Chartwell where Churchill lived until his death. It was a wonderful documentary about the man. The greatest man of the 20th Century. Churchill understood the danger of Hitler and in the pre war years he warned England of the danger. He understood that if Hitler's army crossed the English Chanel and invaded England it would come through Chartwell on its march to London. He was half English and half American. They played the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" at his funeral. Someday I will make my pilgrimage to Chartwell. When I do I will report about it on this blog.