Sunday, January 02, 2011

Goodbye Old Friend



Bob Welch of the Eugene Register Guard has nice column today about the last men's basketball game in old Mac Court at the University of Oregon. Click on the title for a link.

I also have my memories of the place. I remember the basketball games where I screamed my head off for the Kamikaze Kids in the early 1970's after I came back to Oregon for law school after two years in the US Army. Going to the games was not a passive experience.I remember Bill Walton of UCLA coming out of the key and bending down trying to take the ball away from our short guards who were running out the clock in a victory over the hated Bruins. Some of my first dates with my wife were at those basketball games. As an undergraduate I also remember the games but even more the concerts and political events. I remember seeing and talking with Richard Nixon as he made his political comeback in 1968. I remember Bob Hope and Simon and Garfunkel . Every time I hear a certain Simon and Garfunkel song it takes me back to Mac Court and that concert. I also remember Peter Paul & Mary, John Denver, The Association, The 5th Dimension and The Carpenters.

I remember taking our middle school children to Mac Court for the first time for a basketball game and the many trips there since.

I remember watching South Medford beat Lake Oswego to win the 6 A State High School Basketball Championship.

As Bob Hope would say "Thanks for the Memories !"