Monday, February 22, 2010

Oregon's John Wayne: Football Coach Chip Kelly




John Wayne as Sergeant Stryker in "Sands of Iwo Jima":
"You gotta learn right and you gotta learn fast. And any man that doesn't want to cooperate, I'll make him wish he had never been born."



I watched coach Kelly's press conference twice last Friday and I really like the guy. Last February he came to Medford and spoke after" letter of intent day" and I got to see personally the kind of guy he is. At football games my seat is in section 13 behind the Oregon bench and I like to watch Coach Kelly run the team. He is a disciplinarian with a heart of gold. He cares about his players but they must tow the line. He is not as smooth as coach Bellotti or as glib but he gets his point across. I believe he is more of a disciplinarian then Coach Bellotti! He reminds me of some of the drill sergeants I had in army. They were tough but not because they were sadistic ( there were some of those too) but because they wanted you to be tough so you could survive in combat. The type of drill sergeant as exemplified by John Wayne as Sergeant Stryker, in "Sands of Iwo Jima." I think the Oregon Ducks are very lucky to have Chip Kelly as our football coach and I have a great deal of confidence in his ability to handle all types of adversity both on and off the field. A leader with character and guts. "SADDLE UP" it's going to be a rough ride for the Oregon Ducks in the weeks and months ahead; but, we have just the coach we need! I feel sorry for any Oregon player that doesn't 'learn right" and "learn fast" Go Ducks!