Monday, August 27, 2007

"Winston is Back"



This is the 12 inch statue of Winston Churchill I purchased at the gift store at Chartwell, Churchill's home in Kent,England. It was the last one they had in stock. I was so afraid it would get broken on the flights home I put it in my "carry on." I had no problem going through security on the Euro star train between London and Paris or the security at the Paris airport. However when I got to Dulles airport in Washington DC they made me open up my bag so they could inspect it. Fortunately the inspector was a nice guy and did not require me to "check it".

This is a cold-cast resin bronze of Winston Churchill created for Members and Friends of the International Churchill Society by the sculptor Peter Hicks.

On September 1st. 1939 Germany invaded Poland. Two days later Britain and France declared war on Germany. The following day Mr. Churchill joined the Government as First Lord of the Admiralty, the post he had occupied at the outbreak of the First World War. Churchill had been out of office for eleven years. On hearing of his appointment the Board of the Admiralty immediately signalled the Fleet, 'Winston is back'.

This statue measures 12 inches tall and it will be a family heirloom. It can also be purchased on line through Winston Churchill Shop. com. For a link click on the title above.