Saturday, February 24, 2007

Malt Shop Memories


Last night about 3 am I could not sleep so I turned on the TV and there was an infomercial for the Time/Life music CD set of 'Malt Shop Memories." This 10 CD set of 150 songs is a trip back to the 1950's and early 1960's Rock n Roll music before the British Invasion. Even though I received the set as a Christmas present last Christmas and have seen the infomercial several time I still enjoy watching it again even at 3 am. I highly recommend the CD set. It is very good. Each song is a hit and as the say in the infomercial there are "no fillers" The infomercial is set in a fake malt shop with aging rocker Bobby Rydell and a younger female co host. Sitting around the "malt shop" are other folks in their 50's and 60's who talk about how great the set is and how it takes them back to when they were young. These interviews are interspersed with film of the real artist singing the songs on the CD's. As they say in the infomercial it would be difficult to collect all of these songs on CD . I have purchased other Time/Life compilations and they are generally very well done. I have "The Folk Years" and "Singer and Songwriters 1970 t0 1978"
Click on the title above for a link to the Time/Life site. Where else are you going to get Elvis Presley, Jay & the Americans, The Shrelles, The Beach boys, Jan & Dean, The Del-Vikings, Dee Clark, Ricky Nelson, Chubby Checker,Little Peggy March,and Connie Francis all in one place.The only other CD that is close to this is the "American Graffiti" sound track. It's great music to work around the house with. I used to make fun of my folks record compilations of the "Big Band Sound." and their Lawrence Welk music. No More.