Thursday, March 07, 2013

Senator Ted Cruz


Last night during the Rand Paul filibuster on the Senate floor Senator Ted Cruz came to the aid of Senator Paul and gave, with a few notes, a great speech I will not soon forget. He quoted Ayn Rand, Shakespeare (Band of Brothers speech from Henry V) Barry Goldwater, Supreme Court Justice Jackson, from the movie Patton and finally Ronald Reagan's 1964 speech in support of Barry Goldwater.

 
While watching the filibuster on CSPAN I was doing some household chores but when Senator Cruz started to speak I stopped doing anything else and was inspired in a way I have not been inspired since Ronald Reagan gave that speech in 1964. I saw that speech as a high school teenager and now many years later I couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing. He is a intelligent, knowledgeable, well educated and inspiring Conservative that can give a great speech off the cuff. As I sat at my computer I was moved to tears as he spoke of freedom and that America is its last best hope on earth.

 
I was blown away when Cruz, who's parents escaped from Castor's Cuba, acknowledged Florida Senator Rubio, whose parents were also emigrants from Cuba when he started to  read the following from Reagan's 1964 speech:

 

Not too long ago, two friends of mine were talking to a Cuban refugee, a businessman who had escaped from Castro, and in the midst of his story one of my friends turned to the other and said, "We don't know how lucky we are." And the Cuban stopped and said, "How lucky you are? I had someplace to escape to." And in that sentence he told us the entire story. If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.


Maybe it takes recent emigrants to America who have escaped tyranny to remind us how fragile freedom his in the history of the world

 
Since the election I and many conservatives, have become dispirited and fatalist that Americas' best days are behind her. Senator Cruz changed that. It was a transformative moment in American political history.

 
I stand with Senator Ted Cruz!