Sunday, December 30, 2012

MOVIE: Lincoln (2012) ******




This afternoon my son and I went to see the Steven Spielberg film "Lincoln."  It was my second viewing and our sons third.  For me it was a powerful and emotional experience.  For years I have decried the lack of a good theatrical  movie devoted to Abraham Lincoln. The last was John Ford's "Young Mr. Lincoln" from 1939 that dealt with his early life before the Presidency.  Well, my wish has been granted and Spielberg has made a great film that will be viewed for generations. 

Lincoln for me is more than a great man he is someone I look to in times of stress.  I sometime am jealous of those who are religious and can look to their religion for strength. For me I look to Abraham Lincoln who held this country together and helped to erase the stain of slavery upon our honor as a country. I see in his example that we can bear almost any burden that life gives us with dignity and humor. 

There is not a bad scene in the entire movie. When you are my age two hours and thirty minutes is a long time to go without a bathroom break but I have done it twice not wanting to miss any detail. The scene that sticks out in my mind is the emotional argument between Lincoln and his wife near the end of the movie over their dead son and the desire of another son to server his country as a soldier.  It is so painful and sad.  I love  the scenes in the telegraph office of the War Department  as they await the results of a battle and another as Lincoln tries to deal with the issue of peace feelers from the South. There is the scene where Lincoln lays on the floor of the White House  by the fireplace next to his sleeping young son. I could go on and on.  Spielberg artistically and in a unique way deals with The Gettysburg Address, the Second Inaugural Speech, and the events at Ford's Theater. If you love politics, as I do, the debates and vote in the House of Representative on the 13th Amendment to the United States Constitution ending slavery are wonderful and inspiring. 

If you don't see another movie in the next 5 years go to Lincoln. For Christmas our son bought me Doris Kearns Goodwin's book "Team of Rivals" that the movie is based in part on. In addition, we have spent the holidays listening  to the CD of the Soundtrack.  When the movie makes it to Blu-ray it will make it into my collection and will sit next to the John Ford classic. 

Thanks Steven Spielberg for this American treasure.