Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Suze Rotolo RIP


Suze Rotolo, Bob Dylan's girlfriend in the 1960's, died February 25, 2011 at age 67. He met her when he moved to New York City's Greenwich Village at the height of the Folk Music scene of that era.

According to Wikipeda:

Dylan's separation from his girlfriend has been credited as the inspiration behind several of his finest love songs, including "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", "Tomorrow Is a Long Time", "One Too Many Mornings", and "Boots of Spanish Leather"......They finally broke up in 1964, in circumstances which Dylan described in his "Ballad in Plain D".[9] Twenty years later, he apologised for the song, saying: "I must have been a real schmuck to write that. I look back at that particular one and say, of all the songs I've written, maybe I could have left that alone."


She will forever be immortalized as the girl on Bob Dylan's arm on the album cover of "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan". (Picture above) This was Dylan's second studio album released in May of 1963.

I can still remember where I was when I first saw the album cover. I was in high school in North Bend,Oregon near Coos Bay and saw the album at Pay Less Drug Store at the Pony Village Mall. Pay Less Drug had the largest record selection in the Coos Bay area and I remember looking at the album and thinking that Bob Dylan is a "cool guy" having a good looking "chick" on his arm there in New York City. It was and remains my favorite Dylan record album cover.

I do miss the large album cover pictures. The small CD's don't do the pictures on the cover justice.

Suze Rotolo dead...... I must be getting old!

(To read more about her click on the title for a link to her Wikipedia page)