Sunday, August 16, 2009

Long Weekend


My wife and I have had a very nice weekend.

Friday, after work we stopped by the Rogue Valley Mall to get the Sports Illustrated with the Oregon Ducks on the cover. Thanks to a tip from a friend we found it at Walden Books and got the last two copies. We then walked the full length of the mall and I found a Bob Dylan album I didn't have call "Real Live" from 1984 on sale for less than %5.00. It was recorded on a European tour and the audience really gets into a couple of songs that makes the album. I normally do not like Dylan's "live" albums but this is an exception along with a couple of others. We then went home and did our house cleaning and ended the day watching the blu ray copy of the movie "27 Dresses" we had checked out of the Jackson County Library. The movie was cute and the lead resembled someone we know real well!

Saturday, we got up early (for me on a Saturday) and did our yard work before it got too hot. For lunch I had hot dogs on the back deck. I then went to the Jackson County Library to pick up some movies I that had put on "hold" for me. After getting gas for the car I returned home and we watched a Netflix blu ray copy of the movie "Annapolis" ( OK but not very original..... can you say "Officer and a Gentleman") and then we watch a library blu ray copy of "Juno" which was very good. I ended the day watching several episodes of a BBC series call "The Edwardians." Good writing but poor production values... to be expected from an early 70's BBC program.

Sunday we got up and read the Sunday paper.... lots of liberal slant on health care. We then drove to Galice in Josephine County on the Rogue River to have lunch on the deck of the Galice Resort overlooking the Rogue. It was a perfect day and the place was not too crowded. It's a favorite stopping place for rafters on the Rogue.
They have fixed up the place but it still has that rustic woodsy charm. We both has burgers with fries and had a very enjoyable outing. On the way back we stoped at various lookout to watch the river and the rafters. We then stopped at a junk/antique store in Murphy and I found a "gem" for $2.00. A CD Soundtrack for the movie "Animal House," one of the greatest comedy movies ever made if not the best. Did I say it was filmed at the University of Oregon? We listened to the CD on the way back to Medford and every song remind me a great scenes from the movie. My favorite is when Stephen Bishop is singing a terrible folk song on the fraternity stairway with some coeds watching and John Belushi (Bluto) grabs his guitar and smashes it. You can hear the sound of the guitar being smashed on the soundtrack. There is dialog from the movie as an introduction to several songs including the Bluto "did we give up when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor" speech. Yes, a collectors item worth a lot more than $2.00. A good weekend.