Saturday, August 12, 2006

"The Gathering Storm"


Most of my extensive library is in our "movie room." However, there is a 6 volume set of books that have a place of honor in our living/dining room. It is "The Second World War" by Winston Churchill. When my children were young I would at their bed time pull up a chair in the hall between their bedrooms and read Winston Churchill's words. My kids have kidded me that their friends got to hear Dr Seuss's "Green Eggs and Ham" and they got Churchill's "Finest Hour" (volume 2) about the Battle of Britain. For the record I dislike Dr Seuss. As much as I like volume 2 - "Finest Hour" my favorite is volume 1 "The Gathering Storm." Churchill said the theme of this volume is "How the English-speaking people through their unwisdsom, carelessness and good nature allowed the wicked to rearm."

I see a great parallel today and the rise, not of Hitler, but Islamic fascist and the unwillingness of the West to confront and defeat it. We can not reason, we can not bargain, we can not bribe these Islamic fascist. We can only fight and kill and defeat them. Better now while they (Iran) do not have the nuclear bomb rather than later when they are armed with it. The 9/11 Part II - the attempt to blow up 10 American airplanes with liquid explosives - should be a wake up call to the West that the threat is real and will not go away. We either fight them now or later when they are stronger. The cease fire in Lebanon is not the end but only a "phony peace" that will not last. Better to let Israel keep on fighting and killing the Islamic fascist. This will be a long war and there is no substitute for victory.