Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Breakfast at Tiffany's

When I was a young teenager I went to see the movie "Breakfast at Tiffany's" at the Egyptian Theater in Coos Bay, Oregon. I remember talking my parents into going based upon the popularity of the song by the same name. I fell in love with Audrey Hepburn and a few weeks later for my birthday got the sound track record album with the same picture on the cover of the album as shown in this post (The record album cover was in color). I still have that album. A few weeks ago I was walking through Fred Meyer and there was the same picture in black and white, poster sized, and nicely mounted. We were in the middle of redoing our "movie room" and so I decided to get the picture. However there were at least three in stock so I put it off till another day. I went back a week later and only one was left . It now hangs on the wall at the foot of the stairs going into our "Movie Room." I am still in love Audrey Hepburn and the movie. For a kid from Coos Bay, Oregon it was my first glimpse of New York sophistication. I remember my Mom, with her Midwest values, was upset that Holly Golightly jumped into bed with George Peppard and "they weren't even married" I remember saying "but they only slept." Remember this was 1961 and everything changed as we got deeper into the 60's. It was only later I learned that Hollywood had toned down the character Truman Capote had created in Holly Golightly. I really believed that Holly got $50.00 just to go to the "powder room" and for being a nice looking date. When I went to New York City for the Republican Convention, in the summer of 2004, I walked by Tiffany's and looked into the same window Hepburn did at the opening of the movie. To read more about the movie click on the title to the IMDB main page on the movie.