Wednesday, January 25, 2006

South Medford High Basketball

The South Medford High School Basketball team is rated by AP as the #1 team in the state of Oregon. In today's Portland Oregonian there is a nice article by their prep sports reporter about South Medford and it's trip to Portland Saturday night to play the best team in Portland the # 3 Jefferson Democrats. He writes:

I cast a vote in The Associated Press high school basketball poll -- have for three years now.
Last week, I was part of the minority, one of three voters around the state to cast my No. 1 vote for Lake Oswego. The other seven voters penciled in South Medford at No. 1.
I know Lake Oswego's guard play has been inconsistent. And the team has a tendency to stand around and watch superstar Kevin Love do his thing (who can blame them?). But I have given the Lakers the nod atop my weekly ballot all season because I figured Love would will take the Lakers to the championship, especially considering their title-game collapse last season.
But after watching South Medford travel 275 miles north, enter one of Oregon's most intimidating venues and barely blink, outmuscling, outhustling and outplaying Jefferson on Saturday, I admit that the majority of AP voters had it right. South Medford is the best team in the state.
The Panthers defeated Jefferson 80-69. But, really, the game wasn't that close. South Medford led by as many as 15 points in the fourth quarter......

To read the rest of the column in the Oregonian click on the tilt above for a link